Department of Microbiology and Pathology
3-501 Bowen Science Building
51 Newton Road
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242
Lab: 319-335-8433 or 319-384-2929
BA, Biology, University of Northern Iowa, 2003
I primarily study the immune response in mice following different viral infections.
- Van Braeckel-Budimir N, MD Martin, SM Hartwig, KL Legge, VP Badovinac, JT Harty. Antigen Exposure History Defines CD8 T Cell Dynamics and Protection During Localized Pulmonary Infections. Front Immunol 27: 1-11 (2017) [PubMed]
- Knudson CJ, Hartwig SM, Meyerholz DK, Varga SM. RSV vaccine-enhanced disease is orchestrated by the combined actions of distinct CD4 T cell subsets. PLoS Pathog. 2015 March 13 11(3):e1004757.
- Knudson CJ, Weiss KA, Hartwig SM, Varga SM. The pulmonary localization of virus-specific T lymphocytes is governed by the tissue tropism of infection. J. Virol. 2014 August 88(16):9010-16.
- Alsuwaidi AR, Albawardi A, Almarzooqi S, Benedict S, Othman AR, Hartwig SM, Varga SM, Souid AK. Respiratory syncytial virus increases lung cellular bioenergetics in neonatal C57BL/6 mice. Virology. 2014 Apr;454-455:263-9.
- Hartwig SM, Holman KM, Varga SM. Depletion of alveolar macrophages ameliorates virus-induced disease following a pulmonary coronavirus infection. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 7;9(3):e90720.
- Khanolkar A, Hartwig SM, Haag BA, Meyerholz DK, Epping LL, Haring JS, Varga SM, Harty JT. Protective and pathologic roles of the immune response to mouse hepatitis virus type 1: implications for severe acute respiratory syndrome. J Virol. 2009 Sep;83(18):9258-72.
- Khanolkar A, Hartwig SM, Haag BA, Meyerholz DK, Harty JT, Varga SM. Toll-like receptor 4 deficiency increases disease and mortality after mouse hepatitis virus type 1 infection of susceptible C3H mice. J Virol. 2009 Sep;83(17):8946-56.
- Olson MR, Hartwig SM, Varga SM. The number of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)-specific memory CD8 T cells in the lung is critical for their ability to inhibit RSV vaccine-enhanced pulmonary eosinophilia. J Immunol. 2008 Dec 1;181(11):7958-68.